Immigration: Family and Spousal Sponsorship


An eligible sponsor is someone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, is at least 18 years of age, resides in Canada or intends to reside in Canada, and has sufficient income to support the people being sponsored once they arrive in Canada. An exception to the income requirement applies those who wish to sponsor a spouse or common law partner. For those sponsors, there is no income requirement. However, such a sponsor must not owe support arrears to a former spouse and must not currently be involved in a bankruptcy proceeding. A sponsor must enter into a written agreement with the Canadian government to support the people they are sponsoring for a period of three years for spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners, and for a longer period of time for other types of relatives.