Using Documents Outside Canada

For notarized documents to be used outside of Canada, you may have to take the additional step of having the notarization authenticated. Authentication may be required because foreign countries do not necessarily recognize the status of Canadian notaries. The process of authentication is basically a government's recognition of the credentials of a notary. This can be done through the Government of Alberta's Department of Justice located at:

Official Documents and Appointments

Room 111, 9833 - 109 Street

Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2E8

(780) 427-5981

Another alternative is to have the notarized documents authenticated through the federal Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa.

Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade

Authentication and Service of Documents Section

125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

K1A 0G2